Sunday, June 24, 2012

From the Harvest to my brain and into your mouth

I've been writing a weekly piece for The Baltimore Sun called "From the Harvest" and for the past month I've got to tell you that I'm having a blast. It's fun and challenging to go to the market and try to come up with my next article while perusing the culinary madhouse that is the JFX farmers' market. 

Over the the past month this what I've come up with:

©2012 John Houser III



Strawberries- Strawberry Tart (tart shell filled with strawberry curd topped with fresh strawberries and glazed with a strawberry jam).

©2012 John Houser III


Peas- Fresh Peas with Bacon, Mint and Orecchiette

©2012 John Houser III

Spring Onions- Spring Onions Calçot Style  ( the Romesco Sauce is great!)

©2012 John Houser III


And just this week (for my center piece)  I covered Summer Squashes. Above you see the pic for Yellow Squash and Zucchini 'Pasta' in Cherry Tomato Sauce. I also included:

©2012 John Houser III

Ricotta stuffed squash blossoms (you choose lime or lemon flavored; I couldn't make a decision so I included both)

And also:

©2012 John Houser III

Zucchini and yellow squash cakes with cilantro & mint garlicky yogurt sauce

The layout this week looked great. See?

©2012 John Houser III
Next week there will be a new vegetable Wanna hint? Well standard pickles are made from it and it rhymes with the word shoocumber. The recipe for it will help you to beat the heat of the summer while giving you a nice buzz (or not if you are straight edge or 12 years old).

If you make any of these recipes let me know what you think. I don't want to hear a fucking peep out of you really want to get feedback in order to serve you all better. Are the recipes too easy, too hard or fine how they are. Seriously I do want to know.

Thanks for reading and if you see me at the market say hi (if you know what I look like that is... muahahahahaha).

Cheers,
Johnny

No comments: